Help Me Help You Workshop
Learn How to Build Better Relationships after Brain Injury
Who: For relatives, spouses, caregivers, friends, and survivors of brain injury and stroke.
What: The Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at the IU School of Medicine and RHI work together to host this workshop focused on strengthening relationships. This workshop was created to help people better understand specific relationship challenges after brain injury and teach them important skills to successfully conquer these challenges together through presentations, group discussions, and interesting activities.
When: Two-day workshop, held every 3-5 years (last workshop held September 2018)
How: Call Sue Underbrink, Practice Manager, at (317) 329-2194 to be placed on a waiting list for the next session
- Relationships after Brain Injury: What relationships are and how they can change after a brain injury.
- Under the Hood: Understanding the mechanics of relationships. Learn about how you affect others, and how others affect you, in ways that you may not realize.
- Communication Breakdown Alert! Good communication is important for all relationships, especially during conflict. Learn about communication problems in relationships.
- Communication in Relationships, Part 1: How to Understand What Others Want and Need
- The Dos and Don’ts of Good Listening. Listening skills are important in relationships, especially during conflict. Learn how to improve your listening skills so that you could be more in tune with other peoples’ needs.
- Lost in Translation? Interpreting others’ messages more accurately. Sometimes we misinterpret other peoples’ messages, and this could either create or add to existing conflict. Learn how to avoid or manage these pitfalls.
- Communication in Relationships, Part 2: Communicating What You Want and Need
- Saying the Right Thing at the Right Time in the Right Way. Learn to state your needs so that you will be heard and better understood by others.
- Master Your Emotions, and Good Communication will Follow: Our emotions influence how we communicate, but what influences our emotions? Learn to influence your emotions in ways that will help you improve your communication, and enjoy your interactions with others.