Research, Training & Outcome Center for Brain Injury (RTOC)
The Leader in Outcome Monitoring and Reporting
The Research, Training & Outcome Center (RTOC) for Brain Injury is Rehabilitation Hospital of Indiana's (RHI's) translational science center responsible for the evolution of brain injury rehabilitation and community integration. RHI leads the brain injury rehabilitation field in outcome monitoring and reporting for all interventions incubated within the RTOC. This includes housing the data for other sites and benchmarking as well as “accrediting” future sites to use our programs.
What we do:
- Active clinical prospective research projects testing new interventions as well as extensions of current interventions
- Modeling and retrospective research investigating risks, mitigating variables, and secondary outcomes
- Translation of successful research interventions/modifications into clinical practice
- Training the community on brain injury including patients, family/support systems, providers, and systems
- Training future professionals via post-doc appointments, practicums, and academic/meeting lectures
History of The Research, Training & Outcome Center
Improving Return to Work and Reducing Disability following Brain Injury through Resource Facilitation
Resource Facilitation (RF) was developed to improve return to work and school after Brain Injury. Resource Facilitation maximizes outcome through:
- Providing brain injury-specific education
- Proactively helping the individuals identify, obtain, and navigate needed instrumental, brain injury specific resources and supports
- Ensuring collaboration, integration and coordination between providers and community-based resources.
The RF Research Training Center (RTC) was created in 2016 and is a direct result of the RHI Resource Facilitation Department's successes in the areas of brain injury and vocational rehabilitation. These successes along with many new requests and opportunities lead to the creation of the RTC.
In 2018 the RTC was renamed Research, Training & Outcome Center (RTOC) to emphasize that all three components are integral to building capacity. Not only is Resource Facilitation evidence-based -- we have produced the evidence and turned it into practice.
Training & Education
RTOC offers ACBIS training for professionals, an annual brain injury conference, and more.Learn More
RTOC leads the field of brain injury rehab in outcomes research and modeling through program evaluation.Learn More
Research & Grant Projects
The RTOC is working on several research trials and grant funded projects designed to improve community integration for the brain injury community.Learn More