Brain Injury Program
A Team Approach Enhances Care
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
- Anoxic Brain Injury
- Cancer / Brain Tumor
- Post-Concussion Syndrome
- Acute Confusion
- Post-Traumatic Headache
- Hard to Concentrate
Indiana's Only Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) Model System
Rehabilitation Hospital of Indiana (RHI) is the only TBI Model System in Indiana and one of just 16 facilities nationwide, making RHI the go-to center of care for all levels of brain injury recovery. Model Systems are recognized as national leaders in medical research and patient care and provide the highest level of comprehensive services for the point of injury through eventual re-entry into full community life.
All The Care You Need in One Place
- RHI offers a full continuum of care for patients at all levels of recovery:
- Research-driven care based on research conducted at RHI -- RHI implements current research into daily clinical practice across disciplines to maximize function
- Neuropsychology to address the cognitive, behavioral, and emotional dynamics unique to brain injury
- The brain injury team has specific training and experience with therapeutic interventions for patients at all levels, from mild to severe Traumatic Brain Injury
- Many of our Staff are Certified Brain Injury Specialists (CBIS)
- Nursing and Physiatrist care and consultation available around the clock
- Individual and group therapy tailored to address individual goals
- State-of-the-art equipment and technology
- Caregivers and families are incorporated into the therapy sessions in order to learn the best ways to help care for their loved one and maximize progress
- Patients learn to become as independent as possible, with education and training based on the individual’s needs
- Many specialized treatment programs to provide holistic care, including Vision Rehabilitation and Driver Rehabilitation Program
The interdisciplinary team is composed of Neuropsychologists, Physiatrists, Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech-Language Pathologists, Nurses specializing in brain injury rehabilitation, Nursing Rehabilitation Techs, Care Coordinators, Recreation Therapists, Dieticians, Wound Care Specialists (if needed), and Respiratory Therapists (if needed). The brain injury team has specific training and experience with therapeutic interventions for patients at all levels, from mild to severe Traumatic Brain Injury. Many of our Staff are Certified Brain Injury Specialists (CBIS).
Brain Injury Outcomes
With hope and goals in mind, we treat people, not just patients. We help patients see past their brain injury, maximizing their emotional and physical potential. So while we’re reporting numbers here, you must know we see determined, deserving persons behind each one.
- In 2018, we had the privilege of treating 276 patients with TBI and acquired brain injury
- These TBI patients represent 19.6% of all RHI patients, far more than the national average of 11.5%
- Average length of stay: 15 days
- Discharge to community: 67.4%
- Return to Acute Hospital: 10.9%
- Patient Satisfaction Scores: 92%
RHI’s impact is felt far beyond the care I received as a brain injury patient. It has impacted my family across generations by giving us the needed tools and resources to live life not to just survive, but to thrive.
Becky HalonWife, Mother, Brain Injury Survivor
Dr. Flora McConnell Hammond, M.D.
Extensive research in the area of brain injury and serving as Covalt Professor and Chair of the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Indiana University.View Biography See All Staff Bios