Living Your Best Life
At RHI Northwest Brain Injury Center, our LSVT-certified clinicians will help you manage the symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease through individualized treatment sessions. LSVT is a research-supported intervention targeting the movement and speech challenges experienced by people with Parkinson’s Disease. LSVT programming focuses on holistic, individualized, intensive treatment to improve everyday movement and communication.
- Parkinson's Disease
- Atypical Parkinsonism
- Other Cognitive Impairment
- Neurological Speech or Movement Disorders
Goal of Occupational Therapy
- Fall prevention and safety
- Self-care and home management
- Adaptive equipment training and modifications
- Energy conservation
- Use of hands due to tremors
- Patient and caregiver education
Goal of Speech Therapy
- Enhancing speech intelligibility
- Increasing vocal volume
- Improving communication in the home and community
- Increasing confidence in conversation
LSVT LOUD® is the first speech treatment with level 1 evidence and established efficacy for treating voice and speech disorders in people with Parkinson's Disease with application to other neurological disorders. LSVT LOUD® outcome data have been published in a series of articles in speech, otolaryngology and neurology journals. Research on LSVT LOUD® has documented improved impact on multiple levels of functioning in people with Parkinson’s Disease following treatment including:
- Increased vocal loudness
- Improved articulation and speech intelligibility
- Improved intonation
- Improvements in facial expression
- Changes in neural functioning related to voice and speech
LSVT LOUD® is a standardized treatment protocol that is customized to the unique communication goals of each person across a range of disease severity and communication impairments. More information about LSVT LOUD® is available here.
LSVT BIG® is an intensive, amplitude-focused physical and occupational therapy approach developed from principles of the effective Parkinson’s specific speech treatment LSVT LOUD®. Research on LSVT BIG® has shown to improve motor functioning in individuals with Parkinson’s Disease in the following areas:
- Faster walking with bigger steps
- Improved balance
- Improved trunk rotation
- Improvements in activities of daily living such as getting in and out of bed, dressing, and bathing.
LSVT BIG® is a standardized treatment protocol, which is customized to the unique goals of each patient. It can be adapted or progressed to meet the needs of a patient based on the severity of the disease and the areas of daily living that are most impacted. More information about LSVT BIG® is available here.